Ronald Adler, MD, FAAFP, Sami Hamdan, MPH, Courtney Scanlon, MD, and Wayne Altman, MD, FAAFP. Quality Measures: How to Get Them Right. Fam Pract Manag. 2018 Jul-Aug;25(4):23-28.
Regarding our healthcare system
- Woolhandler S, Ariely D, Himmelstein DU. Why pay for performance may be incompatible with quality improvement. BMJ. 2012 Aug 13;345:e5015.
- Frakt AB, Jha AK. Face the Facts: We Need to Change the Way We Do Pay for Performance. Ann Intern Med. 2018 Feb 20;168(4):291.
Basch E. Patient-Reported Outcomes — Harnessing Patients’ Voices to Improve Clinical Care. N Engl J Med. 2017 Jan 12;376(2):105–8.
MacLean CH, Kerr EA, Qaseem A. Time Out — Charting a Path for Improving Performance Measurement. N Engl J Med. 2018 May 10;378(19):1757–61.
Saver BG, Martin SA, Adler RN, Candib LM, Deligiannidis KE, Golding J, et al. Care that Matters: Quality Measurement and Health Care. PLoS Med. 2015 Nov 17;12(11):e1001902.
PLoS Medicine - http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1001902
When quality performance measures don’t pass the test
Pay for performance: a dangerous health policy fad that won’t die
How Measurement Fails Doctors and Teachers
Do Performance Measures Miss the Point?
MedPageToday - "Blues' Quality Contract Raising Hackles in Massachusetts"
- Boston Globe - "Health insurer has a distorted sense of quality"
- JAMA - "Professionalism, Self-regulation, and Motivation; How did Health Care Get This So Wrong?"
Regarding ways to improve the system
- JAMA - "Measuring Vital Signs; An IOM Report on Core Metrics for Health and Health Care Progress"
- BMJ - "Margaret McCartney: For better primary care, pay GPs for service"
- Telegraph - "Patients views should be put first when it comes to statins"
- Wall Street Journal - "How House Calls Can Cut Medical Costs"
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - "No One Left Behind: Technology can be used to cut health care disparities"
Blue Cross Blue Shield Quality Metrics Report Card
We would like to thank DynaMed, a leader in evidence-based medical analysis, for their work in grading metrics that are being used in the current healthcare system. We have created a report card based on their work.
Of note, the quality metrics that are listed in green meet criteria, but are "good" metrics if they are done in a patient-centered manner, with patient input into their care.